Causative “have” or “get”
A. Causative “have” or “get” means a sentence in which a subject asks the object to do the work. In other words, the subject does not do the work. Causative is often used in conversation.
1. We have the mechanic repair our car. From this sentence we may conclude that subject “we” does not repair the car, but it is the object “mechanic” does it. The above sentence has the same meaning with: We get the mechanic to repair our car or We ask the mechanic to repair our car.
2. The family has someone cut the tree in the yard. This sentence has the same meaning with : The family gets someone to cut the three or The family asks someone to cut the three. From these three sentences we may conclude that the family does not cut the three but someone does it.
B. Remember, causative have does not apply infinitive to after the object. (The manager has his secretary type the document) while causative get does (I get my first son to clean the room). Both causative “have” and “get” have the same meaning.
Take a look at the following sentences.
- The old mother has her daughter cook the meal.
- The professor has his assistant give tutorial to his 25 post-graduate students.
- They get me to turn of the light.
- She had me park her car yesterday in department store.
- They get me to phone the suppliers
- The manager got me to place a big order two days ago.
- My father has me accompany the visitors to station.
C. Causative “have” or “get” can be in active or in passive form.
Look at the following sentences.
- I have Bill kill the snake (Active sentence)
- I have the snake killed by Bill (Passive sentence)
- They get me to deposit money (Active sentence)
- They get money deposited by me (Passive sentence)
- She has the servant wash the dishes (Active sentences
- She has the dishes washed by the servant (Passive sentences)
D. Determine which are active and passive sentences
- We will have the police arrest the thief.
- They will get someone to draw up money from the bank.
- She had her clothes ironed by her youngest sister last Friday.
- He has his hair cut by a barbershop.
- We got the house built in 2011.
- We have the paper turned in to the lecturer.
- They got someone to drive the family car.
- We have the door opened by the security.
- The doctor gets a nurse to fill the bottle.
- The professor has his book published.
E. On Toefl test the passive form might be possible to appear.
1. We have the topics ______________in seminar.
The correct answer is B because it is passive sentence. Passive sentence will use verb III (past participle)
2. They get a popular actor ________the new products
(B) To promote
The correct answer is B, because it is active sentence and using “get”.
3. The police had the victims ____________last week.
(B) To identify
what is the correct answer?
4. The president gets his staff ___________ demonstrators.
(B) To meet
what is the correct answer?
F. Your turn.
1. We must have the hotel ______________right now.
2. The company gets the package ____________.
(B) To deliver
3. We have the servant____________ our guest.
(B) To served
4. Bob has his secretary invite me to the ceremony. From this sentence we may conclude that:
(A) Bob invites me to attend the ceremony.
(B) Bob invite his secretary to the ceremony.
(C) The secretary invites Bob to the ceremony.
(D)I am not invited by Bob.
5. The doctor gets his nurse to measure the temperature of my father. From this sentence we may conclude that:
(A) My father is sick.
(B) The doctor cannot measure the temperature.
(C) The nurse measures my father’s temperature.
(D)The nurse has the temperature measured.
6. We have Susan feed the pets. From this sentence we may conclude that:
(A) Susan has pets
(B) Susan does not like pets
(C) Susan gives food to pets
(D)We are afraid of pets