Reading Comprehension Section is the third and the last section of the three sections of toefl. As you have already known that every section has its own characteristics to complete and also needs certain strategies to complete owing to the handicaps. Generally,there are two main handicaps to complete this section, namely :; 1) limited time; and 2) new vocabulary. According to most test takers, they confess that they cannot finish this section because the available time (less than one hour) is not enough.
B. More detail explanation
Reading Comprehension Section consists of 50 questions derived from 5 to 7 reading passages. The topics of the passages are various such as : astronomy, geology, chemistry, medicine, engineering, sport, biography, economics, law, communication, literature, sociology, history, anthropology, architecture, psychology, art etc. There is no guarantee that the reading passages will be corresponding with test takers’ educational background. However, we never find two similar topics in a test. (Read your module p. 136 – The Passages)
C. Some Effective Strategies
1. We have to be accustomed to the question forms. ( module p. 137)
2. It is better you learn the questions first before reading the whole passage. By doing this, you can focus on certain parts or paragraphs related to the questions, because sometimes you choose the correct choice without mastering all the passage.
3. List the question form from the easiest then complete the 50 questions based on the list. Make priority to questions about closest in meaning, similar meaning, pronoun, and line. Question about topic, title, the purpose of the writer, unstated statement etc. you may do later. In other words, you need not need to start from question number 1 and you stop to number 50.
4. Remember, if you find new vocabulary, please do not get panic. Very often the next lines may give more explanation about it especially for technical term. Last but not least, add your vocabulary day after day and be familiar with various passages.
5. Learn your module pages 138 – 141